Call for Applications: CCT Fellows
The application process for the 2017-2018 Fellows Program IS NOW OPEN!
The CCT Fellows are a cadre of graduate students with a demonstrated commitment to teaching who act as peer mentors to their fellow students on issues related to teaching and pedagogy. The Fellows are central to the Center’s efforts to contribute to a vibrant culture of teaching on campus and beyond. Selected in the spring via a competitive application process, Fellows participate in training to prepare them to be knowledgeable and effective resources for their peers, and they receive ongoing support and mentorship from CCT staff. Among other activities, Fellows lead teaching development workshops for graduate students at the CCT, and they also develop programs and resources to create communities of practice around teaching in their home departments. The Fellows program offers a unique professional development opportunity for graduate students by providing valuable experience in teaching and learning issues, program development, and leadership and administration in higher education.
Fellows are appointed for a full academic year, with the possibility of reappointment in subsequent years. The position comes with a stipend of $3600 to supplement the Fellow’s other sources of funding.
There will be an informational meeting about the Fellows program on Thursday, March 30th, 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. in Wieboldt 310 D/E. You are welcome to bring a lunch and any questions you may have!
Students in any PhD program at the University of Chicago may apply, provided that they:
- Are in good academic standing
- Have at least two quarters of teaching experience at UChicago (e.g. as a TA or instructor)
- Can participate in all training sessions and the Teaching@Chicago fall orientation event
June 5th and 6th, 2017: 9am-4pm
September 7th and 8th, 2017: 9am-4pm
September 20th and 21st, 2017: 9am-4pm
Instructions for Applying
The deadline for applications for the 2017-2018 academic year is April 10th, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
To apply, please follow these two steps:
Step 1: Go to this ONLINE FORM and fill it out to indicate your formal interest in the position.
Step 2: In a single .pdf file, please email to email@example.com the following five items:
1. Cover letter - be sure to address the following:
- Your interest in being a CCT Fellow.
- Your personal assessment of your strengths as a teacher.
- Idea(s) you have for a teaching development project to implement in your department or division.
3. Statement of teaching philosophy. For guidance on writing, visit the CCT website.
4. Evidence of teaching effectiveness, which may include:
- Teaching evaluations
- Report from an Individual Teaching Consultation or Mid-Course Review
- Feedback from a faculty member, a peer, and/or a student
- Please note: Not every applicant will necessarily have all of these evidentiary materials. If you do have them, please submit them. If you do not have them, this does not rule you out from consideration, so please do apply.
5. Verification of good academic standing: a note from a faculty member or administrator indicating the applicant is in good academic standing. Copying and pasting an email from the administrator to you into your .pdf is acceptable.